Today, I released LibWowAPI
as part of my continuing effort to move my open source projects off of the roncli.com SVN and on to Github.
With this move, I upgraded the library to version 1.0.1. There are a ton of changes packed into this little version, so many that I debated upping the minor version number instead of the revision number, but in the end I didn't feel that the library's underlying logic changed significantly enough to warrant it.
The biggest change is the removal of the Json.NET
dependency. While I like the simplicity of the Json.NET library and its ability to easily manipulate data using LINQ, the overhead was too much for a public project like LibWowAPI, so I switched to using System.Runtime.Serialization.Json
instead. This gives the library the advantage of now being self-contained without having to worry about adding dependencies. I will continue to use Json.NET in some of my personal projects, but there is no need for me to include it with this library.
I've also updated the library with many of the changes to the Blizzard WoW API
over the past 4 months, including an equipped item's transmogrified property, pet talents, and Portuguese language support.
Several bugs have been fixed as well, removing some annoying errors that occur when Blizzard throws a 500. The IsModifiedSince stuff works now as well, no longer crashing when something hasn't been modified.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with the state of the library. My only wish is that I could have done this in stages, as some of the API data is a couple of months old. Unfortunately, my free time has been limited by a much bigger project, so the fact that I was able to put this out at all is a big win.